|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Enterprise Cotton Mills Building, Orangeburg County (U.S. Hwy. 21, Orangeburg)
|Facade||Tower-Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation|
|Rear Elevation|| Engine and
(Zeus Industrial Products) The Enterprise Cotton Mills Building is significant for its association with several textile companies that played major roles in Orangeburg’s economy in the first half of the twentieth century. The mill was organized in the city in 1896. There was much local support for the construction of the mill that would provide a home market for the agricultural products of the county. The firm of W.B. Smith Whaley and Company, engineers and architects of Columbia, was retained to design the building and it was constructed in 1896-1897. Whaley’s firm was nationally prominent as a designer and developer of textile mills. The firm did work across the southeastern United States in the period from 1890 to 1902. Later work included mills in Massachusetts, Oklahoma and China. Around 1900 the building was occupied by the Orangeburg Manufacturing Company that employed around 200 workers by 1907. In 1917 the Santee Cotton Mills began operating in the building, employing around 450 workers over two shifts by 1935. From ca. 1944 to 1976 the building housed the South Carolina Cotton Mills. The building is a four-story, brick building, seventeen bays long and seven bays wide, with a five-story tower on the east side. A two-story brick engine room and a one-story brick boiler room, parts of the original construction, are located at the east side. There are numerous other smaller additions on the east elevation. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Orangeburg, ca. 1850-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.