|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Dixie Library Building, Orangeburg County (Bull St., Orangeburg)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Elevation||Main Entrance|
The Dixie Library Building is significant as one of the few antebellum buildings remaining in the city of Orangeburg. It is a one-story, frame Classical Revival building believed to have been built ca. 1850. The building is primarily defined by its simplified Roman Revival temple form, expressed by its longitudinal orientation, its pedimented and low-pitched roof and its pseudo-peripteral colonnade of Tuscan piers. The building has a rudimentary entablature which is raked into the pediment. The tympanum has weatherboard sheathing and a louvered attic vent. The windows have recessed bulkhead panels and louvered shutters. The curious proportions and simplified moldings probably reflect limited command of classical motifs on the part of the builder, rather than any sense of creative innovation on the part of the designer. The building has been moved twice, in 1912 and 1955, but retains its architectural integrity and historic form. A small frame addition has been built on the rear of the building. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Orangeburg, ca. 1850-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.