|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
F. H. W. Briggman House, Orangeburg County (156 Amelia St., Orangeburg)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Right Elevation||Main Entrance|| 2nd Story
The F.H.W. Briggmann House is significant as one of the few antebellum buildings remaining in Orangeburg. In addition, it is a reminder of Orangeburg’s nineteenth century German immigrant population. The house is believed to have been constructed ca. 1855 for F.H.W. Briggmann, a native of Hanover, Germany, who settled in Orangeburg between 1850 and 1854. He was the owner of F.H.W. Briggmann and Company, a prosperous general mercantile business. The house is a two-and-one-half-story, rectangular, frame vernacular Greek Revival residence with a gable roof. The house has three exterior end chimneys of stuccoed brick. The dominant feature of the front facade is a two-tiered porch that is recessed beneath the front slope of the roof. The porch is supported by wooden posts with necking and has plain balustrades. The porch shelters central double-door entrances with sidelights and transoms. The foundation is brick pier with wooden lattice and the roof is covered with corrugated metal. Alterations include a rear addition. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Orangeburg, ca. 1850-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.