South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Tingley Memorial Hall, Claflin College, Orangeburg County (College Ave., Orangeburg)
S1081773800901 S1081773800902 S1081773800903 S1081773800904 S1081773800905
Facade Facade-Detail Left Oblique Right Rear
Rear Elevation
S1081773800906 S1081773800907 S1081773800908    
Left Rear
Dentil Detail Cupola Detail

Tingley Memorial Hall, a two-story, brick Classical Revival style building constructed in 1908 according to the plans of William Wilson Cooke, is the main building on the campus of Claflin College in Orangeburg. The building is historically significant for its association with the important contribution of the college to black education in the state in the early twentieth century. Tingley Hall is architecturally significant for its association with Cooke, a graduate of Claflin, a pioneer architect and the first African American man to hold the position of senior architectural designer with the United States Supervising Architect’s Office in Washington, D.C. The handsome, imposing building reflects the importance that was attached to education as a means to an improved future for the African American youths of South Carolina. The fine proportions and use of classical motifs such as the bead and reel molding, acanthus leaf keystone, and Palladian window design in the architecture illustrate Cooke’s competence as an architect. Decorative elements include a molded concrete water table above the basement and brick quoins on all corners. The brick is laid in Flemish bond with dark headers. The roof is topped by an octagonal cupola featuring arched louvered vents, pilasters, a dentil cornice, and a copper dome. Listed in the National Register August 4, 1983.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Orangeburg, ca. 1850-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.