South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

St. Julien Plantation, Orangeburg County (S.C. Hwy. 6, Eutawville vicinity)
S1081773800601 S1081773800602 S1081773800603 S1081773800604 S1081773800605
Facade Left Oblique Rear Elevation Right Elevation Interior
Left Front
S1081773800606 S1081773800607 S1081773800608 S1081773800609 S1081773800610
Right Front
Mule Barn
Oak Allee

St. Julien Plantation is a significant nineteenth century plantation complex, with the main house, major outbuildings, and oak allee intact. Reputed to have been constructed ca. 1854 on land originally granted to Joseph de St. Julien in 1737, St. Julien Plantation was the home of Julius Theodore Porcher (1829-1863), a member of a prominent French Huguenot family of St. John’s Berkeley Parish. The 1860 South Carolina Slave Schedule lists Porcher as owning 121 slaves. In addition to operating a prosperous plantation and being active in community affairs, Porcher served in the Confederate army. The plantation house is significant architecturally for its design which reflects the Italianate influence on the vernacular farmhouses of the mid-nineteenth century. It features an L-shaped, two-story plan, with a one-story porch in the crook of the L, and a low-pitched hipped roof with projecting eaves and a bracketed cornice. Also notable are several remaining original outbuildings including a board and batten kitchen, a log cotton warehouse, a Carpenter Gothic mule barn, a smokehouse, garage, storage building, and several wood frame farm buildings of undetermined age. Approximately fifty-nine acres of the 1,027 acre farm are a part of the National Register site, including the garden behind the house that contains several large Camellia japonicas that are believed to be among the oldest in the Lowcountry, and a moss-draped live oak allee, the original approach to the house from the old River Road. Listed in the National Register November 28, 1980.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.