|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Donald Bruce House, Orangeburg County (U.S. Hwy. 301, Orangeburg vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Left Elevation
(Middlepen Plantation) The Donald Bruce House is one of the oldest surviving structures in the Orangeburg area. According to local tradition, it was used as headquarters during the Revolution by both Governor John Rutledge and by the British commander, Lord Francis Rawdon. The house is named for Donald Bruce, prominent merchant, local public official and member of the South Carolina General Assembly during the Revolution. The house is also significant as an example of 18th century vernacular architecture. The house is believed to have been constructed before the American Revolution, however the actual date of construction is uncertain. Originally built in downtown Orangeburg, the house was moved to Middlepen Plantation ca. 1837. One hundred years later, the house would make a second move, one hundred yards to its present location. The two-story frame structure features a two-tiered front piazza, pegged construction, hand-wrought nails and handmade hardware. Constructed of pine, the house has wide flush boards on the front and clapboards on other sides. Listed in the National Register December 1, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.