|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
White House United Methodist Church, Orangeburg County (U.S. Hwy. 301, Orangeburg vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|
(White Meeting House; White Church) The White House United Methodist Church is one of the finer and increasingly rare examples in South Carolina of the popular “meeting house” style typical of rural and less affluent church congregations. Built ca. 1850, the church reflects the style’s bare and simple design principles, affording only the essentials needed for worship. This can be seen in the church’s rectangular plan, original clapboard siding and hard hand-hewened pine benches. With the exception of a choir loft, stained glass windows, and carpet the interior appears much as it originally did. The front portico is a 1939 addition, as are the rooms added to the rear. The church building, third on the site, houses the oldest Methodist congregation in Orangeburg County, dating back to the late 1780s. Francis Asbury, the first Bishop of American Methodism, visited the congregation in 1801 and 1803. Listed in the National Register May 13, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.