|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Prather's Bridge, Oconee County (Westminster vicinity)
|Bridge Overview||Bridge Roadbed||Post Fire|
Prather’s Bridge is believed to have been constructed prior to the Civil War. It is significant for its noteworthy construction using cross-timbers and wooden pegs. Prather’s Bridge spans the Tugaloo River and connects South Carolina to Georgia. The bridge is two spans, 158 feet long with a town lattice truss, over the river. There are two uncovered approach ramps. In 1950 a fifteen foot center section of the bridge was destroyed by fire. It was painstakingly replaced so that the structure lost none of its original charm and appeal. Listed in the National Register June 5, 1970. Prather’s Bridge has since burned. Removed from the National Register April 17, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.