South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Oconee County Jail, Oconee County (West Main St., Walhalla)
S1081773799801 S1081773799802 S1081773799803
Facade Left Oblique Right Elevation

The Oconee County Jail, constructed between 1901 and 1906, is a locally important public building which incorporates several elements of neo-medieval or Gothic Revival design. The stepped and crenellated parapet, the asymmetrical plan with projecting polygonal bays, and the suggestion of a tower are direct architectural references to the popular conception of a medieval castle. The jail is also important as one of the few remaining nineteenth or early twentieth century jails in upper northwestern South Carolina. In addition, the jail is the oldest county building remaining in Oconee County. The Oconee County Jail is a two-story stuccoed brick building with a forward section containing the sheriff’s office and residence, and a rear block containing jail cells. A one-story porch with patterned metal shingle roofing and grouped wooden posts on brick piers spans the fašade, running around the forward ell. The detention wing to the north of the main block was built in 1938-39 to replace the original detention wing. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1982. The Oconee County Jail has since been demolished. Removed from the National Register December 12, 1989.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Oconee County Penal System includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.