South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

McPhail Angus Farm, Oconee County (320 Coyote Lane, Seneca vicinity)
S1081773701701 S1081773701702 S1081773701703 S1081773701704 S1081773701705
John A.
McPhail House
John A.
McPhail House
Left Oblique
John A.
McPhail House
Left Rear
Tenant House #1
Jack Robinson
Tenant House #2
Norris House
S1081773701706 S1081773701707 S1081773701708 S1081773701709 S1081773701710
Mule/Cattle Barn Fertilizer/
Truck Shed
Corn Crib Chicken Coop Terraced

The McPhail Angus Farm has been a locally significant farm for more than one hundred years. It was established in 1902 by John Augustus McPhail (1876-1961) and later expanded by his son Walter Hoolu McPhail (1901-1979). The farm complex is significant for illustrating twentieth century developments in agriculture in the South Carolina upcountry, most notably the transition from a traditional dependence on growing cotton as a cash crop to raising cattle as a major source of farm income and growing fescue grass as both a source of pasture feed and a cash crop. The Aberdeen Angus herd established in 1936 by W.H. McPhail is one of the oldest Angus herds in South Carolina and has been designated as a Historic Herd by the American Angus Association. The fescue pastures McPhail seeded here beginning in 1939 produced seed for local farmers as well as certified seed sold to established seed companies such as Pennington Seed and Sawan Seed, which in turn sold it to farmers across the Southeast. The farm is also significant as an excellent intact example of an early-to-mid-twentieth century farm complex. The farm complex includes eight properties - four buildings, three structures, and one site - that contribute to the historic and architectural character of the farm: a large ca. 1886 mule/cattle barn; a ca. 1900 fertilizer/truck shed; an early twentieth-century corn crib; an early twentieth-century chicken coop; more than 140 acres of terraced agricultural fields; the Jack Robinson House, a late nineteenth-century or early twentieth-century tenant house; the Norris House, a late nineteenth-century or early twentieth-century tenant house; and the John A. McPhail House, built ca. 1943-45. The complex also includes fourteen noncontributing modern resources. Listed in the National Register November 7, 2007.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.