South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Old Pickens Presbyterian Church, Oconee County (S.C. Hwy. 183, Seneca vicinity)
S1081773701201 S1081773701202 S1081773701203 S1081773701204 S1081773701205
Facade Left Elevation Left Rear Oblique Rear Elevation Right Elevation
S1081773701206 S1081773701207 S1081773701208 S1081773701209  
Interior
Sanctuary
Interior
Pulpit
Interior
Balcony
Interior
Pews

Old Pickens Presbyterian Church, built 1849-51, is an excellent intact example of a mid-nineteenth century church built in the meeting house style and constructed of brick rather than the more common frame construction. It is also significant for its association with the mid-nineteenth century town of Pickens Court House (now often called Old Pickens) and as the only extant building surviving from the old town site. Pickens Court House was established in 1828 to serve as the seat for Pickens District, a new judicial district created from Pendleton District. Pickens Court House was never a large town, and only had a little over one hundred inhabitants by 1860, when it boasted the courthouse, several shops and stores, an academy, a newspaper, a hotel, a stable, a school, a jail, a Masonic lodge, and a church—Old Pickens Presbyterian Church, which was the only church ever active in the town and where worship was open to Christians of all denominations. The church is a one-story, rectangular, brick building with a gable roof that has a boxed cornice with returns. The fašade has a central double-door with sidelights and transom. A paired window above the door provides light to the interior gallery. The interior of the church is well-preserved and contains walls finished in plaster applied over the brick, original pine flooring, original unpainted pews constructed of poplar and pine, and a gallery supported by large columns. A cemetery containing over 200 marked graves is also located to the rear and sides of the church. Listed in the National Register April 4, 1996.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.