South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Newry Historic District, Oconee County (Newry)
S1081773700801 S1081773700802 S1081773700803 S1081773700804 S1081773700805
Courtney Mill
Broad St.
Courtney Mill
Broad St.
Company Store and
Post Office, ca. 1935
Broad St.
Company Store and
Post Office, ca. 1980
Broad St.
Union Church
Broadway St.
S1081773700806 S1081773700807 S1081773700808 S1081773700809 S1081773700810
Emmanuel Holiness
Broadway St.
Innisfallen Type A
Type B
S1081773700811 S1081773700812 S1081773700813 S1081773700814 S1081773700815
Type C
Type D
54 Broadway St.
Type A Variation
65 Broadway St.
Supervisor's Residence
69 Broadway St.
Supervisor's Residence
S1081773700816 S1081773700817 S1081773700818 S1081773700819 S1081773700820
103 Broadway St. 44 Second Ave. South Ave. with
Type A Residences
Broadway St. with
Type B Residences
Aerial View of Newry

The Newry Historic District encompasses a textile mill village established at the turn of the century. Situated in a rural setting in the Little River Valley, the town of Newry is visually isolated by a series of surrounding ridges, dense forest, and a large earthen dam on Lake Keowee, which form the boundaries of the district. The district contains 118 properties including the mill complex, mill office, company store and post office, village church, and numerous workers residences, located within an area of approximately 250 acres. Courtenay Mill was constructed in a typical New England textile factory design. The design is attributed to W.B.S. Whaley. Most of the buildings in Newry were built during the period 1893-1910 and are examples of the turn-of-the century genre of mill village design in South Carolina. These include the principal buildings of brick construction located adjacent to the town square, i.e., company store and post office located on the north side, and mill office on the south side. The village church with late Classical Revival style details is located on Broadway in the center of Newry. Sixty-nine houses are two-story duplexes with a catslide roof, eight houses are two-story single family residences. Other wood frame buildings include four larger two-story residences believed to have been originally occupied by mill supervisors, two one-story residences, one additional church and a recreation lodge. The ruin of Innisfallen, the Neo-Classical house built for mill founder, William A. Courtenay, is located on a ridge southwest from the village. Listed in the National Register March 19, 1982.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Newry Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.