|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Alexander-Cannon-Hill House, Oconee County (off S.C. Hwy. 183, Seneca vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Right Rear Oblique|
(Alexander-Hill House) The Alexander-Cannon-Hill house is the strongest existing architectural link between the present and Old Pickens. When the Alexander-Cannon-Hill House was originally built by Pleasant Alexander in 1831, it was located on a plantation at the edge of Old Pickens. From 1828-1868 Old Pickens was the center of government for Pickens District which in 1868 was subdivided into Pickens and Oconee counties. The house was moved to its new location in the spring of 1972 to conform with regulations of the Atomic Energy Commission. The original section of the two-story clapboard structure was built in 1831. Between this date and the Civil War the portion extending from the third window left of the main entrance to the eastern end of the house was added. Both original section and addition are constructed with mortise-and-tenon joints typical of upcountry pioneer architecture. The interior retains heart pine flooring in the entrance hall, original stairway with unadorned banister, and wainscoting in the parlor. The house has been owned by only three families. Pleasant Alexander served as sheriff of Pickens District from 1844 to 1848 and held the position of postmaster for many years. In 1874 the house and property were sold to Silas Cannon by the Alexander estate. In 1883 Cannon sold the property to J. Bennett Hill and it remained in that family until Duke Power Company acquired the property in the 1960s. Listed in the National Register July 24, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.