South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Moon-Dominick House, Newberry County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 48, Chappells vicinity)
S1081773602501 S1081773602502 S1081773602503 S1081773602504 S1081773602505
Left Oblique with
ca. 1900 wing on
Right Oblique with
ca. 1900 wing on
Left Elevation Left Rear Oblique Rear Elevation
S1081773602506 S1081773602507 S1081773602508 S1081773602509 S1081773602510
Facade with
ca. 1900 wing removed
Ceiling Medallion
Fireplace Mantel
Fireplace Mantel

(Old Tin House) Architecturally, the Moon-Dominick House is unique in Newberry County as an example of a typical upcountry frame house accented by an admirable local attempt to follow the Federal vogue in interior and exterior ornamentation. Known locally as the “Tin House” because it reputedly had the first metal roof in Newberry County, the two-and-one-half story farmhouse was probably built ca. 1820 as a residence for Dr. Peter Moon and his wife Susan Satterwhite Moon, both members of locally prominent families. Dr. Moon was a successful planter as well as a physician, and was a leader in civic, political, and religious affairs. The house is a representative central-hall farmhouse, or “I-House,” with distinctive Federal style architectural features. The house is of heavy-timber braced-frame construction with a high brick basement and a gable roof. A distinctive modillion block cornice lines the eaves. A one-story porch originally sheltered the doorway. This porch was removed ca. 1900 when a two-story wing was added to the front of the house. This wing was removed in 1980, amidst other significant changes. Perhaps the most outstanding Federally inspired elements in the house are the molded plaster cornices and ceiling medallions, the delicate Federal mantels, marbleized woodwork mantel surrounds, polychromatic six-paneled door, vaulted plaster ceilings, and a plaster eagle flanking an urn in relief. Listed in the National Register March 22, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.