South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Burton House, Newberry County (Address Restricted)
S1081773602401 S1081773602402 S1081773602403 S1081773602404
Facade Right Elevation Portico Detail Main Entrance

The Burton House is exemplary of the antebellum planter’s house in Newberry County, showing the adaptation of classical elements to vernacular form. An early owner of the house, 1856-1858, was William Walter Houseal, a prominent Newberry merchant and public official. In 1888 the Burton family bought the house and it has remained in that family to the time of nomination. Built ca. 1857, this building is a rectangular two-story weatherboarded Greek Revival residence with a gable roof. A central two-story pedimented portico dominates the fašade. This portico has two square wood pillars on each tier, with responding pilasters at the junction of the porch and building. A plain balustrade connects the pillars on both levels of the portico. The second-story porch door is surmounted by a three-light transom. A six-light transom surmounts the first-story door, which is also flanked by sidelights. The house was moved to its present site in the 1920s, a distance of approximately one hundred yards. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Newberry includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.