|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Timberhouse, Newberry County (1427 Ebenezer St., Newberry)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Rear Oblique||Right Elevation|
|Right Oblique||Main Entrance|| Interior
This two-story frame plantation house is a good example of the adaptation of Greek Revival elements to the vernacular building forms in South Carolina during the antebellum period of cotton planting prosperity. The building is essentially intact as a well-preserved upcountry plantation manor bridging the architectural transition in the region from farmhouse to mansion. Built ca. 1858 by Jacob Kibler, this Greek Revival residence is a two-story weatherboarded dwelling. Rectangular with exterior end chimneys, it is covered by a gabled roof which extends over double-tiered full-width porches. The porches are supported by six square wood pillars connected by plain wood balustrades. Centered front doors on each story of the fašade are framed by a pedimented architrave, multi-paned transom and multi-paned sidelights. Flanking single windows are of six over six sash. Modillions enrich the upper cornice. A full-width screen shed porch in the rear is a recent addition. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Newberry includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.