|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ike Reighley House, Newberry County (2304 Main St., Newberry)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
|Left Rear Oblique||Main Entrance|
Built ca. 1885 by Newberry attorney Lambert W. Jones, this large asymmetrical Victorian residence is a two-story weatherboarded dwelling with a front and left side ornamental wraparound porch on the lower story. Two high twin front gables extend from a rectangular block. The gables have cornice returns, narrow four-over-four single windows and a “stick”-like motif above the windows. Bracketed and turned wood posts, connected by a plain railing, detail the narrow one-over-one lights. This building, with its unusual front gable motif is the only house in Newberry to display the “stick” influence of the period. Later additions, harmonious to the original fabric, extend from the rear fašade. The house was purchased in 1898 by Ike Reighley, whose descendants, at the time of nomination, still owned and occupied the house. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Newberry includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.