South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Boundary Street-Newberry Cotton Mills Historic District, Newberry County (Newberry)
S1081773600901 S1081773600902 S1081773600903 S1081773600904 S1081773600905
Newberry Cotton Mill
ca. 1980
Tarrant St.
Newberry Cotton Mill
Main and Drayton Sts.
Newberry Cotton Mill
Hose House
Newberry Cotton Mill
Main and Drayton Sts.
Newberry Cotton Mill
1209 Drayton St.
S1081773600906 S1081773600907 S1081773600908 S1081773600909 S1081773600910
Mill Village
One Story House
Mill Village
Two Story House
Willowbrook Park Willowbrook Park
Bandstand, ca. 1910
Employees Club
Drayton St.
S1081773600911 S1081773600912 S1081773600913 S1081773600914 S1081773600915
900 Boundary St. 908 Boundary St. 823 Boundary St. 824 Boundary St. A. M. Bower Cottage
820 Boundary St.
S1081773600916 S1081773600917 S1081773600918 S1081773600919 S1081773600920
Lambert Jones House
819 Boundary St.
817 Boundary St. Dr. P. B.
Ruff House
808 Boundary St.
Thomas F.
Harmon House
807 Boundary St.
Thomas Pratt
734 Boundary St.

Page 1 of 2 Next

The Boundary Street-Newberry Cotton Mills Historic District exemplifies two distinct types of architecture in Newberry. The district is comprised of a collection of classical and vernacular inspired upper and middle class houses dating from 1857-1898 and a relatively intact late nineteenth century mill village surrounding the ca. 1884 mill. The district is a visual reminder of the importance of the mill to Newberry’s development and the rise of the professional class. Representative architectural styles include Greek Revival, Victorian, Queen Anne, and Bungalow. In addition to the mill and its associated properties (mill village, reservoir, warehouse, superintendent’s house, boarding house, and park) the district also includes commercial, and religious properties. Newberry Cotton Mill was constructed as the first fully steam powered textile factory in South Carolina. The original 1884 brick mill was designed by the renowned Boston engineering firm of Lockwood and Greene. Subsequent additions to the mill occurred in 1895 and 1910. The Newberry Cotton Mill has since been demolished. The mill village includes eighty-one one-story and twenty-six two-story frame mill houses, constructed between 1884 and 1910 by the mill for the factory operatives and their families. The houses were sold by the mill in the 1940s to individual families. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Boundary Street-Newberry Cotton Mills Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Newberry includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.