South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Pomaria, Newberry County (U.S. Hwy. 176, Pomaria vicinity)
S1081773600701 S1081773600702 S1081773600703 S1081773600704 S1081773600705
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Rear
Oblique
Left Rear
Oblique
S1081773600706 S1081773600707 S1081773600708 S1081773600709 S1081773600710
Left Elevation Portico Detail Gable Tri-part
Window Detail
Shutter Detail Interior
Stairway
S1081773600711 S1081773600712 S1081773600713 S1081773600714 S1081773600715
Interior
Door and
Surround
Interior
Fireplace
Mantel
Interior
Fireplace
Mantel
Interior
Fireplace
Mantel
Outbuilding
Post Office
S1081773600716        
Outbuilding
Smokehouse

(Summer-Huggins House) The Pomaria plantation house is considered to have been constructed by John Adam Summer ca. 1825 on the site of an earlier Summer family dwelling. The house combines elements of both Federal and Greek Revival architecture and has been the home of a family whose members have had a significant role in the fields of agriculture and government in Newberry County. The two-story house with full attic is set on a raised foundation. The front fašade is characterized by a Federal two-story pedimented portico which projects forward from the central portion of the fašade and is flanked at right and left by symmetrical 9/9 fenestration, arranged in two bays. Each story of the portico also has a central doorway with traceried sidelights and transom in the Greek Revival style. Interior features include paneled wainscoting, a pilastered elliptical arch in the central hall, molded cornices, Greek Revival door and window moldings, and Federal mantels and paneled doors. The property also contains an extant collection of original dependencies, which include a log smokehouse, a board and batten privy, and a Carpenter Gothic post office, the first post office in the Dutch Fork. Also, the Pomaria Nurseries were begun on the plantation in 1840 by William Summer, who was a Newberry attorney. He was considered highly knowledgeable in the field of horticulture, introducing rare, imported plant specimens, and in some instances creating new varieties through the grafting process. Listed in the National Register April 24, 1979.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.