|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
St. John's Lutheran Church, Newberry County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 170, Pomaria vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Right Rear Oblique||Rear Elevation|
|Left Oblique||Main Entrance||Window Detail||Conrice Detail|| School
(White Church) St. John’s is unusual architecturally, reflecting a more sophisticated design than is usually found in rural 19th century churches in South Carolina. This ca. 1809 church is believed to be the oldest frame Lutheran church building in South Carolina. St. John’s retains some beaded siding, a dentiled cornice, and a jerkin-head tin roof. The front fašade features paneled entrance doors with an arched panel above, and an unusual configuration of windows with matching pairs in three successive tiers. The rear reveals a semi-circular chancel, believed to date from ca. 1892, with two Gothic style windows. All other windows feature solid-paneled shutters, surmounted by semi-circular window arches. The interior features a wooden barrel-vaulted ceiling and wide board walls. Narrow wooden stairways in the front corners of the church give access to a slave gallery. It is believed that St. John’s Church was established in the 1750s by German settlers. The present building is believed to have been constructed in 1809 as the third structure to serve the St. John’s congregation. A small, rectangular mid-nineteenth century clapboard school building is located east of the church, within the nominated acreage. Located to the north of the church is the church cemetery which contains several early graves with fieldstone markers. Listed in the National Register December 8, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.