|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Newberry Historic District, Newberry County (Newberry)
|Old Courthouse|| Confederate
| Old Newberry
| Parr Building
| 1307 & 1309
|1312 Main St.|| Newberry-Saluda
1300 Friend St.
| Central Methodist
1005 Caldwell St.
|1320 Lindsay St.|| 1400-1402
|1401 Main St.||1403 Main St.|
|1407 Main St.||1409-1505 Main St.||1416 Main St.||1500 Main St.||1506-1512 Main St.|
| Ritz Theater
1509-1513 Main St.
Newberry County was one of six counties created in 1785 from the large district of Ninety-Six. The original plat shows the creation of a public square and by 1801 a small frame courthouse had replaced the first log structure, and the village began to grow up around the town square. Structures on the square include the fourth of five courthouses (ca. 1850) built for the County, the old Newberry Bank, Hotel, the Opera House, and the Confederate Memorial Monument. Most of the brick commercial and public buildings surrounding the square were built between 1850 and 1900 when Newberry was an important stop in the railroad route from Columbia to Greenville. The first district boundary increase consisted of fifteen early twentieth century commercial, public, and religious buildings which support the nineteenth century buildings in the core district. Three of these “new” buildings were designed by prominent architects: Frank P. Milburn designed the (fifth) Newberry County Courthouse, James Knox Taylor designed the old Newberry Post Office, and Reuben Harrison Hunt designed the Central Methodist Church. The second boundary increase included an additional fourteen contributing buildings built between 1907 and ca. 1940 during a period of commercial growth and development in the city. Notable architectural styles in the district include Greek Revival, Romanesque Revival, Neo-Classical, and Art Deco, in addition to typical brick commercial buildings with traditional storefronts and decorative upper facades. Listed in the National Register December 31, 1974; Boundary increases November 16, 1980 and June 16, 2004.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Newberry Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the 1980 boundary increase of this National Register Property.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the 2004 boundary increase of this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.