South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Calhoun-Gibert House, McCormick County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 60, Willington )
S1081773301801 S1081773301802 S1081773301803 S1081773301804 S1081773301805
Facade Left Oblique Right Rear Oblique Right Elevation Interior
Rear Crosshall
with Stairway
S1081773301806 S1081773301807 S1081773301808 S1081773301809 S1081773301810
First Floor
Second Story
Central Hall
Hidden Stairway
Frame Garage
Cattle Barn
S1081773301811 S1081773301812 S1081773301813    
Hay Barn
OutbuildingPotato Barn

The Calhoun Gilbert House is an excellent example of the evolution of a residence from a mid-nineteenth century one-story house featuring elements of the Greek Revival style to an early twentieth century two-story house featuring elements of the Classical Revival style. The house was built ca. 1856 for Edward Calhoun and was originally a one-story raised cottage featuring a first floor and attic over an above-ground brick basement. It was designed by architect William Jones of Atlanta. The house is a weatherboard-clad frame residence featuring a full-width one-story hip roofed porch that is intersected at center by a projecting pedimented portico. Attached to the rear is a full-width, hip-roofed wing which features decorative metal shingles and engaged porches. The house is also associated with Edward Calhoun (1809-1862), his son Edwin Calhoun (1839-1917), and Albert Gibert (1859-1938), prominent Abbeville District and McCormick County planters and businessmen. Calhoun’s son Edwin, who served in the Confederate States Army inherited the property after his father’s death and farmed here after his return. Albert Gibert purchased the house ca. 1908 and soon enlarged it to two stories, adding four bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, a back hall and stair, and two side porches. Outbuildings contributing to the character of the property include a frame garage, a two-story frame cattle barn, and a board-and-batten smokehouse, hay barn, and potato barn. Listed in the National Register March 12, 1996.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.