|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
M. L. B. Sturkey House, McCormick County (Main & Washington Sts., McCormick)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique|
The M.L.B. Sturkey House is a frame cottage with Queen Anne detailing built ca. 1895. The house is a gable front and wing form or ell plan with a rear addition. The house is one-story in height with weatherboard siding. On the main and north facades is a porch with chamfered porch posts and a spindled railing. Beneath the gables of the house is diagonal bracing and drop pendants. The house has a composition shingle gable roof with two corbelled brick interior chimneys. The house was built by M.L.B. Sturkey, one of McCormick’s most prominent early residents. Sturkey moved to McCormick in the 1880s and opened a hardware and dry goods store on Main Street. Sturkey was one of the main proponents in the formation of McCormick County. In 1895 he served on the committee which petitioned the Constitutional Convention to create McCormick County and continued to lead the fight for the formation of the county until 1916. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of McCormick, ca. 1852-ca.1923 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.