South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

McCormick Train Station, McCormick County (Main St., McCormick)
S1081773301501 S1081773301502
Left Oblique Right Oblique

(Charleston & Western Carolina Railway Depot) The McCormick Train Station is a one-story frame building built ca. 1911. The building is a long rectangular building located between Main Street and the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad line. The building has a gable roof with wide eaves supported by brackets. The building has shiplap siding, original six-over-six sash windows, and the original frame and glass doors. On the west fašade is a bay window which served as the ticket booth during the building’s operation. The station was built by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad. The present station appears to be the third constructed on this site. The first station was built by the Greenwood and Augusta Railroad in 1882 with the assistance of Cyrus McCormick. The first building was a frame building and stood until ca. 1900. A second station was then constructed by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad and stood until ca. 1910. The building is a good example of vernacular stations constructed in the state in the early 20th century and illustrates the significance of the railroad in McCormick’s development. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of McCormick, ca. 1852-ca.1923 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.