|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
McCormick County Courthouse, McCormick County (S.C. Hwy 28, McCormick)
The McCormick County Courthouse is a two-story brick building built in 1923 in the Neo-Classical style. On the main (east) fašade is a large two-story portico with Doric columns and pilasters. Above the columns is a sheet metal cornice with dentils and modillion blocks. The portico has a flat roof which intersects the main gable roof. Over the main entrance is an enriched lintel with console brackets, dentils, and decorative frieze. Over the first floor windows is brick relief arching and keystones. A sheet metal cornice wraps the building. The interior displays pressed metal ceilings and original doors and transoms. McCormick County was formed in 1916 from territory taken from Edgefield, Abbeville and Greenwood Counties. Plans were soon made to build a courthouse but the building was not completed until 1923. The architect was G. Lloyd Preacher of Augusta. The building is a good example of its period. Since its completion the building has been continuously used as government offices for the county. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of McCormick, ca. 1852-ca.1923 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.