|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hotel Keturah, McCormick County (Main St., McCormick)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
The Hotel Keturah is a two-and-one-half-story brick building constructed ca. 1910 in the Colonial Revival style. The building is situated on a lot on Main Street facing the commercial row and railroad tracks. On the main fašade is a one-story frame porch with Doric Tuscan columns. The main entrance features the original frame and glass double doors with sidelights and transom. Adjacent to the entrance is a projecting bay with three two-over-two sash windows. The building features a hipped roof with three prominent exterior chimneys and hipped dormers with two-over-two sash windows. The first Hotel Keturah was built by 1900 on this site. It was a two-story frame structure and stood until 1909, when it burned. The present building was constructed ca. 1910 to accommodate travelers and train passengers. Both hotels were constructed by W.J. Conner, who gave them his wife’s name. During its heyday the Keturah was managed by the Conners and was a favorite stopping point for salesmen and other travelers. The hotel remained in operation for many years until it closed in the 1960s. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of McCormick, ca. 1852-ca.1923 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.