|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Otway Henderson House, McCormick County (Augusta St., McCormick)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|
The Henderson House is one of the oldest and most architecturally significant properties in McCormick. Constructed ca. 1889, the house is a vernacular Second Empire style cottage with a dual-pitched mansard roof. It is of frame construction and one-and-one-half stories in height. On the main (south) and east facades is a one-story porch with rectangular posts and railing. The main entrance is composed of frame and glass double doors with Eastlake design panels. The second story features a dual-pitched concave mansard roof with flared eaves. This roof contains gable roof dormers, also concaved, on each elevation with six-over-six sash windows. The interior retains its original woodwork and pressed metal ceiling in the entrance hall. The house was built by Otway Henderson, a prominent cotton farmer of the county. Henderson owned large amounts of farmland and also owned a cotton gin in McCormick. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of McCormick, ca. 1852-ca.1923 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.