South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Mount Carmel Historic District, McCormick County (Mt. Carmel)
S1081773300721 S1081773300722 S1081773300723 S1081773300724 S1081773300725
Mount Carmel
Presbyterian Church
G. Smith House Hester Gin and
Grist Mill
S1081773300726 S1081773300727 S1081773300728 S1081773300729  
Carrie Johnson
Tenant House Thrift House

Previous Page 2 of 2

Mount Carmel is a small town that developed in the 1880s, contemporary with the development of the Savannah Valley Railroad. The community was a flourishing village by the turn of the century. The district is located in the heart of the town and contains a high concentration of buildings constructed during the town’s period of prosperity, between 1885 and 1920. Included in the district are residential, commercial, institutional, religious, and industrial buildings, located in an irregular patter adjacent to the railroad tracks. The district maintains integrity as a turn-of-the-century community; of the fifty-one properties contained in the boundaries, forty contribute to the historic character of the district. The district includes a collection of buildings which represent a range of late nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular architectural modes such as the single-pile central hall farmhouse, the meeting house form, and the bungalow. The few key buildings invoke some elements of high style, including Victorian, Queen Anne, and Classical features. Listed in the National Register June 22, 1982.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.