|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Guillebeau House, McCormick County
(Hickory Knob State Park, S.C. Sec. Rd. 274, Hickory Knob vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Rear Elevation||Left Rear Oblique||Left Elevation|
| Dovetail Joint
|Main Entrance|| Andre Guillebeau
The Guillebeau House is a good example of Southern eighteenth-century pioneer construction. Built on the double pen house plan developed extensively in the South, the house has one exterior chimney and two front entrances. The shed roof porch across the front, originally open, has been enclosed at either end to provide additional rooms. The walls are constructed of hand-hewn logs with mortise and tenon joints with filling between the logs. French Huguenot settler Andre Guillebeau (1739-1814) built this house shortly after his arrival at New Bordeaux, an upcountry Huguenot settlement, in August 1764. He served in the American militia under Captain Joseph Bouchilon during the American Revolution. The house was subsequently owned by Andre’s son Peter (1769-1854) and then by Peter’s son Peter (1812-1891). According to Peter’s will there was a 400-acre tract surrounding the house. The family cemetery is included in the nominated acreage. The house was moved to Hickory Knob State Park ca. 1983. Listed in the National Register March 7, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.