South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Robertson-Easterling-McLaurin House, Marlboro County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 36, Bennettsville vicinity)

RobEastMcL01 RobEastMcL02 RobEastMcL03 RobEastMcL04 RobEastMcL05
Facade Right Elevation Left Elevation Interior Room Interior Room
Dinning Room

The Roberston-Easterling-McLaurin House is a two-and-one-half story, central hall, frame farmhouse of the I-house type with a brick pier foundation and exterior gable end chimneys. Believed to have been constructed ca. 1790 for Drury Robertson, the house is a locally significant example of construction techniques and stylistic characteristics of farmhouses of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The craftsmanship and taste of the period are reflected in its hewn timber frame construction, pegged mortise and tenon joints, wainscoting, marbleizing on the stairs, and denticulated cornice. In addition, the house is associated with the lives of persons who played significant roles in the political history of Marlboro County. During the formative years of the county, in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, Drury Robertson (1751-1822) served as county court justice, clerk of court, road commissioner, and delegate to the South Carolina General Assembly. In the early twentieth century it became the home of John Lowndes McLaurin (1860-1934), a former United States Congressman and Senator. While living in the house, McLaurin represented Marlboro County in the S.C. General Assembly and served as state warehouse commissioner. Listed in the National Register April 5, 1984.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.