|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pegues Place, Marlboro County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 266, Wallace vicinity)
|Left Oblique||Interior Dinning Room||Interior Room||Entrance Hall|
Pegues Place is Marlboro County’s only pre-Revolutionary home, built circa 1770 by French Huguenot Claudius Pegues. This two-story Georgian white frame house with lapped siding has a one-story, full fašade porch supported by four square columns that stand independent of the porch (a “rain” or “Carolina” porch). Two large exterior gable end chimneys provide fireplaces for 2 rooms on each floor. A late nineteenth century wing was added to provide an additional four rooms on the two floors. The property contains several original outbuildings, including barns, cotton gin, wash house, log smoke house, carriage house, and greenhouse. The house is significant politically and militarily because on May 3, 1781 a cartel for exchanging prisoners of war was signed by Lt. Col. Edward Carrington (for Gen. Nathaniel Greene) and Capt. Frederick Cornwallis (for Gen. Earl Cornwallis) at this house. This is believed to have been the only cartel for the exchange of Revolutionary War prisoners signed and actually carried out during the Revolution. Gen. Greene and Light Horse Harry Lee were said to be frequent guests at the home of Mr. Pegues. Listed in the National Register January 25, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.