|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Magnolia, Marlboro County (508 E. Main St., Bennettsville)
|Left Oblique||Main Entrance||Rear Elevation||Central Hall||2nd Floor Bedroom Mantel|
|Living Room Mantel||Living Room Entrance||2011||2011||2011|
Magnolia (Johnson-Kinney House) is a fine example of an excellently preserved late antebellum neoclassical, or “bracketed Greek Revival” home in rural South Carolina. Magnolia is a two-story frame house constructed in 1853 by Bennettsville lawyer, William Dalrymple Johnson. Johnson was one of Marlboro County’s three signers of the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession, and the last man elected Chancellor of the Equity Courts of South Carolina before the courts were abolished under the Reconstruction Constitution of 1868. A one-story porch supported by ten Doric columns extends along the northern exposure and front portion of the eastern side. Matching double leaf, five paneled doors are at the front and rear entrances, framed by rectangular transoms and sidelights with unusual rectangular pane design. Boxed cornices are bracketed all around. Behind the house are a barn and the old slave quarters, circa 1853. Listed in the National Register March 14, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.