|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Jennings-Brown House, Marlboro County (121 S. Marlboro St., Bennettsville)
|Renovated Facade||Facade||Left Oblique||Right Elevation||Interior Staircase|
Architecturally, historically and militarily significant, the Jennings-Brown House was built by Dr. E.W. Jones, one of Bennettsville’s earliest physicians, on a four-acre site which he purchased in 1826-27. It was one of the first houses built after Bennettsville became the Marlboro County Seat in 1819. Architecturally, this house is important as Bennettsville’s only remaining two-story home built prior to 1853. It is recognized as a town and area landmark and before being moved in 1900 to 121 S. Marlboro Street and subsequently altered, was an authentic example of the fine homes built in this area ca. 1830. The house also served as headquarters for Major General Frank P. Blair, commanding general of the U.S.A. XVII Army Corps, which captured and occupied Bennettsville on March 6-7, 1865. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.