South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Clio Historic District, Marlboro County (Clio)
ClioHD01 ClioHD02 ClioHD03 ClioHD04 ClioHD05
Edens Opera House,
N. Main St.
Bank of Clio,
N. Main St.
A. L. Calhoun Store,
S. Main St.
Clio Baptist Church, Red Bluff St. Trintiy United Methodist Church, Society St.
ClioHD07 ClioHD08 ClioHD09 ClioHD10 ClioHD11
Atlantic Coast Railway Station, Society St. Smith-McInnis House,
N. Main St.
Barrent-Gallogly House,
N. Main St.
Allston-McColl-Woodley House,
N. Main St.
Covington-Woodley-Meadors House,
S. Main St.
ClioHD12 ClioHD13 ClioHD14 ClioHD15
Legette-McLeod House,
S. Main St.
Old Methodist Parsonage-
McIntrye House,
S. Main St.
Manning-Allen House,
Society St.
Calhoun-Rogers-Lee House,
Society St.

page 1 of 2 Next

The Clio Historic District is notable as an unusually intact collection of late nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular architectural design, including commercial, residential, and religious examples. Design influences include the Queen Anne, Victorian, Classical Revival, and Colonial Revival styles. The district centers along a downtown commercial district and extends outward to include significant residential sections of the town of Clio. Most of the properties were built or remodeled during the town’s boom period, from about 1895 until about 1920. The majority of these properties were constructed by local contractors without the help of an architect. The district continues to retain a unique sense of place as a small turn-of-the-century South Carolina community. Historically, Clio is significant as an economic center of northeastern Marlboro County. Its growth and development consequently reflect the evolution of a small South Carolina community which felt the combined impact of the changes that occurred in the rural trading patterns of the nineteenth century South - of railroad expansion into agricultural areas during that period, and of the great increase in cotton production. Listed in the National Register July 16, 1979.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Clio Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.