|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bennettsville Historic District, Marlboro County (Bennettsville)
|Matthew-Heustess House, 202 McColl St.||Lura Rogers House, 203 McColl St.||Crosby-Newton House, 205 McColl St.||Bennettsville Elementary School, 104 Matheson St.|
|Page 3 of 3|
Established as the county seat in 1819, Bennettsville continues to serve as a political and economic center for Marlboro County. The historic district includes the central part of town, where the majority of the residential, commercial, religious, and public buildings date from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The courthouse continues to be the focal point of the town, although it is the third on the site (built 1885) and was extensively altered in 1951. Bennettsville has numerous excellent examples of residential architecture dating from the early nineteenth to mid-twentieth century. Styles and types include the upcountry farmhouse, Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Beaux Arts, and bungalows. Listed in the National Register April 20, 1978; Boundary increase June 3, 1993.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.