South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

J. C. Teasley House, Marion County (131 E. Wine St., Mullins)
S1081773401301 S1081773401302 S1081773401303 S1081773401304
Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation Left Elevation

The J. C. Teasley House was the home of James Chesley Teasley (1861-1942), a prominent Marion County businessman. Teasley played a pivotal role in the growth and development of the town of Mullins from a struggling late nineteenth railroad stop to an early twentieth century boomtown with a tobacco market serving the entire Pee Dee region of South Carolina. By 1938, Mullins’s tobacco market was the largest in the state. Teasley’s residence from 1901 until his death in 1942, the house is the extant historic resource most closely associated with his life and his role in the Pee Dee tobacco industry. The house has architectural integrity to just after 1901 and consists of a ca. 1875 house which faced westerly and a post-1901 southerly-oriented wing which when built became the principal fašade of the house. This modest single-story frame house is constructed in a classic folk form quite common throughout the rural South. Listed in the National Register May 30, 2001.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Flue-Cured Tobacco Production Properties includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.