|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Old Ebenezer Church, Marion County (S.C. Hwy. 38, Sellers vicinity)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|
(Ebenezer Methodist Church) Old Ebenezer Church is basically the simple, pragmatic meeting house style church with two entrances on the main fašade, corresponding doors on the rear fašade, and a gable roof. However, the builder chose to add refinements to the basic plan: cornices and pilasters indicate the influence of the classical revival idiom. Built in 1856, this one story rectangular church has a surface of white clapboard. Old Ebenezer rests on low pillars of handmade brick which provide an open basement of about three or four feet. Between the three pillars of the main fašade are two wooden stairways, each with six risers. The matching side facades are the width of five bays with windows identical to those of the front fašade. The heritage of Old Ebenezer Church is found in the history of Methodism. In opposition to the Anglican practice of identifying a clergyman with a certain church, Methodists advocated itinerant preaching, known as “riding circuit.” This practice, particularly successful in late 18th century rural America, was led by Francis Asbury. Church members accept Asbury’s journal entry of March 15, 1787, which referred to a meeting held in the immediate vicinity, as referring to the origins of their church. The present church was built in 1856 and supervised by William Dillon, a local businessman and builder, while the manual craftsmanship was the work of slave artisans. A slave gallery, which was later removed, corroborates the pre-Civil War construction date. Listed in the National Register March 10, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.