|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Neal and Dixon's Warehouse, Marion County (S. Main St., Mullins)
|Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Oblique|
Neal and Dixon’s Warehouse was built ca. 1926 for J.S. Neal, C.O. Dixon, and J.H. Dixon, Sr. The warehouse is virtually unaltered and is an excellent example of traditional tobacco warehouse construction. It is also important for its association with tobacco marketing in the area. At the time of its construction Neal and Dixon’s Warehouse was reputedly one of the largest and most modern warehouses in the state. During the 1926 season, the warehouse is said to have employed over 800 people. It is a one-and-one-half story, brick (common bond) building with a metal-covered gable roof. The roof has numerous skylights. The fašade and rear elevation have stepped parapets. The windows on the fašade are six-over-six with concrete lintels and sills. There are eight arched loading bays on the side elevations. Arched drive-throughs are located on the fašade and rear. The drive-through on the fašade has been enlarged. Listed in the National Register August 3, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Flue-Cured Tobacco Production Properties includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.