|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Marion High School, Marion County (719 N. Main St., Mullins)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Right Elevation
with ca. 1940
| Main Entrance
| ca. 1940
First Floor Hallway
Constructed ca. 1923, Marion High School is an educational building in the Classical Revival style built during a period of increased State funding for education. It is a noteworthy example of the work of the Florence architectural firm of W. J. Wilkins and Company. The firm was well known for its work with public buildings, schools, and churches of this period. Marion High opened in 1924 with an attendance of 201 students. Features of the new school included a gymnasium, a physics and chemistry laboratory, a domestic science department with sewing and cooking rooms, agriculture laboratory, and a commercial department. The building served as a high school until 1975 when Marion High relocated. It then became the home for Marion Elementary School until 1994. This two-story building is constructed of brick and rests on a brick foundation. A beveled, cast stone water table encircles the building. The building’s main fašade features baroque massing with projecting central and end pavilions. The central pavilion contains a two-story cast stone frontispiece with molded Tudor arched portal featuring spandrels and a label and a triple window on the upper floor. The fašade is pierced by paired windows on either side of the central pavilion and triple windows elsewhere. Both the north and south sides of the building have the same window configuration with 9/9 double-hung wood sash. All windows feature cast stone lintels with dropped corner blocks. An additional beveled stringcourse acts as the building’s cornice while a cast stone block embellished parapet with stepped central pediment, cast stone coping and crenellations surrounds the top of the building. Listed in the National Register June 6, 2001.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.