|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Liberty Warehouse, Marion County (Park St., Mullins)
Built ca. 1923 for W.H. Daniel, Jr., son of W.H. “Buck” Daniel, the Liberty Warehouse is significant as a basically intact traditional tobacco warehouse and for its association with the Daniel family, the most prominent family associated with tobacco in Mullins. Warehouses were associated with the marketing of tobacco. The farmer brought his tobacco to the warehouse where it was auctioned to buyers from the major tobacco companies. In return for a percentage of the farmer’s profit, the owner of the warehouse certified the weight of the tobacco, provided the auctioneer, distributed the payment checks to the farmers, and delivered the tobacco to the buyers. The one-and-one-half story, brick (common bond) warehouse features stepped parapets on the fašade and rear elevation. The double gable roof is covered with metal. The original roof of the left section of the building, which collapsed in 1973, has been replaced. Windows on the fašade are six-over-six. The fašade also has two wood panel doors and two drive through doors. Six arched loading bays are located on the left and right elevations. Listed in the National Register August 3, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Flue-Cured Tobacco Production Properties includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.