|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Imperial Tobacco Company Building, Marion County (416 N. Mullins St., Mullins)
|Right Oblique||Right Elevation|
The Imperial Tobacco Company Building was constructed between 1908 and 1913. At that time it was the largest redrying plant in Mullins. The Imperial Tobacco Company of Great Britain and Ireland, Inc. used its plant in Mullins to buy, dry, and export tobacco. As the oldest redrying plant in Mullins, the Imperial Tobacco Company is important for the role it played in the processing of tobacco in the area in the first half of the twentieth century. The original portion of this large, industrial, brick (common bond) building is a three-story block, with stepped parapets with tile coping on the front and rear elevations. The roof is flat with overhanging eaves with brackets. The arched double windows are four-over-four sash. Windows and loading bays are crowned by radiating voussoirs. A tower with battlements is attached to the right elevation. The building has ten additions of varying age. Listed in the National Register August 3, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Flue-Cured Tobacco Production Properties includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.