South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

A. H. Buchan Company Building, Marion County (Laurel St., Mullins)
S1081773400101 S1081773400102 S1081773400103
Facade Left Elevation Right Elevation

The A.H. Buchan Company Building, believed to have been constructed between 1924 and 1930 for the W.A. Gray Tobacco Company, is important for its role in the processing of tobacco in Mullins. In 1933 the building was purchased by the A.H. Buchan Tobacco Company. The A.H. Buchan Company had been founded in 1920 for the purpose of buying, drying and exporting tobacco. The company operated in this building until 1964. The two-story, brick (common bond) building features a stepped parapet on the fašade. Most windows have a twelve-paned metal sash, which are hinged. The windows on the first story of the fašade have six-over-six wood sash. The building was used as a tobacco redrying plant. The redrying plant’s main purpose was to insure that the tobacco contained a uniform amount of moisture so that it would not rot or become too dry and brittle. Tobacco has played a major role in the development of Marion and Dillon Counties in general and the town of Mullins in particular. Listed in the National Register August 3, 1984.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Flue-Cured Tobacco Production Properties includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.