South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Cedar Grove Lutheran Church, Lexington County (1220 Cedar Grove Rd., Leesville)
S1081773205801 S1081773205802 S1081773205803 S1081773205804 S1081773205805
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Elevation
Transept Detail
S1081773205806 S1081773205807 S1081773205808 S1081773205809 S1081773205810
Right Rear
Left Rear
Left Elevation
Courtyard Detail
Main Entrance Interior
S1081773205811 S1081773205812 S1081773205813 S1081773205814 S1081773205815
Sanctuary Balcony
Apse and Altar
Pulpit Detail
Right Transept
Window Detail
Left Transept
Window Detail
S1081773205816 S1081773205817      
Window Detail
Cemetery Overview

Cedar Grove Lutheran Church, erected 1926-27, is significant not only for its architectural sophistication, but also for its connections to Louis H. Asbury, a prominent Charlotte, North Carolina architect whose influential designs shaped the institutional architectural trends throughout the Carolinas during the early twentieth century. The church purchased the plans Asbury used in the construction of the St. John’s Lutheran Church in Statesville, North Carolina, in 1922. In addition, the adjacent Cedar Grove Cemetery is an essential contributing resource that retains its historical integrity as a vast cemetery of several hundred tombstones, which has been the traditional burying ground for Cedar Grove’s congregation since their relocation to this site (from Salem Lutheran Church) in 1857. This Late Gothic Revival building is an outstanding example of early twentieth-century Lutheran sanctuaries in rural South Carolina. Its prominent façade is characterized by a crenelated belfry capped by a multi-faceted metal shingle-clad spire with a cross finial. The belfry’s merlons and crenels are surmounted by limestone coping, a detail that is repeated throughout the building’s exterior in the amortizements on its dual oblique brick buttress piers that flank the central doorway and the northeast and southeast corners of the building. A large brick pointed, stilted arch with limestone imposts and a limestone sill surrounds the metal vent within which lie the mechanicals of the belfry. Each window is capped by a double layer pointed arch resting on limestone imposts, as well as a limestone sill. The interior of the sanctuary features a magnificent open-raftered ceiling with trussed beams suggestive of flying buttresses ending in bracketed pendant posts. Listed in the National Register November 17, 2010.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.