|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Robinson-Hiller House, Lexington County (113 Virginia St., Chapin)
|Facade||Left Elevation|| Left Rear
|Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
| Front Turret
| Rear Ell
| Right Elevation
The Robinson-Hiller House, built in 1902, is significant as an excellent example of Queen Anne residential architecture and for its association with Charles Plumber Robinson (1867-1944), prominent merchant of Chapin and Lexington County in the early twentieth century, and his wife Sarah “Eddie” Smithson Robinson, social activist and officer of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. The two-story frame house features a one-story wraparound porch with a turret in the front left corner and a gable in the porch roof over the front entrance. Slender Tuscan columns support the porch roof, while a turned balustrade helps to define this outdoor living space. The foundation consists of brick piers with brick lattice infill. A full-width one-story gabled ell extends to the rear. The wood baseboards, doors, and front entrance stair are of notable quality. Robinson founded C.P. Robinson Lumber Company, a sawmill and building products company which included a lumberyard and a brickworks; he also later owned and operated a mercantile store, cotton gin, corn mill, and roller mill. His various business interests made Robinson the major employer in the Chapin community during the first decade of the twentieth century. After the Robinson’s left Chapin the house was acquired by James Haltiwanger Hiller in 1919. Listed in the National Register May 18, 1998.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.