South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Timmerman Law Office, Lexington County (207 E. Main St., Lexington)
S1081773205401 S1081773205402
Left Oblique Right Oblique

The Timmerman Law Office, which is believed to have been built ca. 1835, is a one-story, rectangular, frame cottage with a gable roof and shed rooms on the rear. The building has exterior end chimneys and is sheathed in weatherboard; the roof is covered with standing seam metal. A hip-roofed porch supported by square wood posts, which are connected by a plain balustrade, is attached to the fašade. The porch shelters a central door flanked by windows. The office, at the time of nomination, was one of nine surviving antebellum residences in the town of Lexington. It was the best preserved and most original of four surviving cottages of similar form. Originally constructed as a residence, the building was associated with George Bell Timmerman, Sr. (1881-1966), who practiced law here from ca. 1912 until 1942. Timmerman was a former solicitor of the Fifth Judicial Circuit, state representative, chairman of the State Highway Commission, trustee of the University of South Carolina, and United States District Judge. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983. The Timmerman Law Office has since been moved. Removed from the National Register December 8, 2005.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.