|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Charlton Rauch House, Lexington County (Main & Cedar Sts., Lexington)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Front Right
| Rear Right
|Left Elevation|| Left Rear
|Porch Detail||Window Detail|| Interior
The Charlton Rauch House, constructed ca. 1886, is a two-and-one-half story, weatherboarded frame vernacular Queen Anne style house with an irregular plan and a gable roof. A one-story wing is attached to the rear. Features of the house include a one-story, hip roofed porch surmounted by a second-story, shed-roofed porch on the fašade, a two-story polygonal bay with a tent roof on the left of the fašade, and a hip-roofed, three-story, projecting polygonal bay on the right elevation with a recessed porch on the third story. All roofs are covered with pressed metal shingles. The porches are ornamented with sawn friezes and balustrades and turned posts with sawn brackets. A locally important example of the Queen Anne style, the house was designed and built by Frank Smithdeal for Charlton Rauch. Rauch operated a livery stable on North Lake Drive on the site of the WPA Community Hall and was a cotton buyer and dealer in general merchandise. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.