|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
James Stewart House, Lexington County (off S.C. Hwy. 6, Red Bank vicinity)
The James Stewart House, which is believed to have been constructed ca. 1850, is a rectangular, one-and-one-half story, frame cottage with a gable roof and two interior chimneys. The house is sheathed in weatherboard siding and the roof is covered with metal shingles. A porch with a high gable supported by square wood posts shelters the three central bays of the five-bay fašade. The central entrance with transom and sidelights is flanked by two windows. The house, at the time of nomination, was one of the few intact antebellum houses in Lexington. It was the home of the town’s only known nineteenth century furniture makers, Samuel James Stuart (Stewart). This land was in a curve of the stagecoach road from Columbia to Augusta and has for many years been known as Stuart’s or Stewart’s Corner. However, to avoid demolition, the house was sold and moved ca. 1991 from its original location on West Main Street in Lexington to its current site in the vicinity of Red Bank. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.