|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
D. D. D. Barr House, Lexington County (off S.C. Hwy. 245, Batesburg vicinity)
The D.D.D. Barr House is a ca. 1883 one-story, frame, weatherboarded dwelling, which extends a ca. 1859 rear ell built by James Michael Barr. The ca. 1883 main core of the house has a hip roof covered with metal shingles. A hip-roofed porch with square wood posts and pilasters and a plain balustrade shelters three bays of the five-bay fašade. The bays consist of two nine-over-nine windows flanking a central entrance with transom and sidelights. Triangular window caps surmount door and windows on all elevations. All of the rooms on the interior except for the central hall have been substantially altered. Outbuildings include a twentieth century milk house. A restrained Greek Revival and Victorian era farmhouse, the D.D.D. Barr House illustrates the austerity of postbellum domestic and farm architecture in Lexington County by a family prominent in the Batesburg area. The farm was entered in 1978 as a Century Farm in being in continuous agricultural operation by the same family for 100 years or more by the Pendleton Historic and Recreational Commission. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.