|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Jacob Wingard Dreher House, Lexington County (off S.C. Hwy. 6, Irmo vicinity)
(Glencoe Farm) The Jacob Wingard Dreher House is a representative antebellum Lexington County farmhouse. The house is associated with the Dreher family, a prominent Lower Dutch Fork farm family of pioneer German extraction. The house was believed to have been built either by Jacob Wingard Dreher or his father Daniel. A prominent farmer, magistrate, churchman, and storekeeper, Jacob Wingard and his wife Ann Hiller were parents of nine children. One son, John E. Dreher, operated the 600-acre tract containing the house from 1913 until all but 150 acres were sold for the Lake Murray project when the Jacob Dreher estate was settled in 1926. The house, constructed ca. 1830-50, is a two-story, rectangular weatherboarded frame farmhouse with a gable roof and a one-story, shed-roofed porch on the fašade. The first story windows are nine-over-six, the second story windows six-over-six. A ca. 1910 single story wing is connected to the left elevation by a porch. The gable ends are pedimented. To the right of the house is a one-story, frame, weatherboarded store building, which was moved (ca. 1945) from its original location anterior to the house on the same side of Old Dreher’s Ferry Road. Listed in the National Register July 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.