South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Music Hall Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lexington County (Address Restricted)
S1081773204001 S1081773204002 S1081773204003
East Elevation Northwest

(Old Music Hall) The Music Hall Evangelical Lutheran Church was constructed ca. 1892 by William Price, a leading member of Music Hall Evangelical Lutheran Church, a small congregation whose conviction that music should play a larger role in religious worship had apparently led them to withdraw from St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church. The austere architecture of the building is an expression of the conservative views of the congregation. Music Hall Evangelical Lutheran Church is a rectangular, frame, weatherboarded building of one-and-one-half stories with a gable roof and projecting end gables. A standing seam metal roof covers the building. Sashless windows covered by vertical board shutters are set in the east and west elevation, where an off-center door is flanked by a single window on the right and two single windows on the left. Field stones and log blocks furnish the foundation. The building has been used for storage since the congregation of the Music Hall Church dissolved in 1906. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.